A sticky black liquid with a melted rubber-like consistency. Doesn’t ideally sound like the definition of a life-changing elixir, does it? However, that is exactly what “Shilajit” or Shilajita is. Shilajit is a nutrient-rich, semi-solid that drips out from rocks in the Himalayas. It develops over centuries from the slow decomposition of plants in frigid conditions.
The name ‘Shilajit’ in Sanskrit means the rock that cannot be defeated. In other words, it is an immortal rock. The traditional healing systems of Ayurveda are an advocate of Shilajit. Shilajit is known to help with a large number of ailments and conditions in humans. The most common form of Shilajit is a kind of rock-like substance found in some mountainous regions in the Asiatic region. The ultimate qualities of Shilajit are known to be invigorating and cleansing. Therefore, this remarkable substance has become one of the major constituents of medicines made in Ayurveda. Shilajit from Nirogam is of the most credible sources where you can buy it from.
What is Shilajit?
Shilajit has a reputation for curing or helping with a wide range of bodily problems and weaknesses, often considered as a panacea or cure-all to all problems, pure shilajit is filled with more minerals and natural amino acids than any other naturally occurring substance. It contains:
- Silver – This helps with antimicrobial effects.
- Iron – Blood cell production, protein, and enzyme synthesis.
- Silicon – Tones muscles and increases bone health.
- Sodium – Electrolytes, Nerve signaling, Cell Function.
- Copper – Electrolyte production, Heart functioning, Nerves signaling.
12 more minerals each with their own functions in the body.
- Alanine – Which helps in serotonin and energy production
- Glycine – Helps in keeping the DNA healthy, antioxidant, nerve cell functions
- Leucine – Helps in protein and muscle development, tissue growth and repair
- Methionine – helps in nutrient absorption, growth of body, cellular functions
And 19 more organic acids with even more complex and specific responsibilities within the body!
Shilajit is one of the most diverse and wonderful remedies in Ayurved. Below are the benefits of its consumption to the body:
- Increased Brain Function – Due to the massive amounts of minerals and hormone affecting acids present in Shilajit, it aids in improving neuron functioning, thus improving brain functioning. In some cases, the consumption of Shilajit may even aid in Alzheimer’s therapies. Some say preemptive consumption may even prevent cognitive diseases.
- Slows down the effects of aging – Antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds help in reducing free radicals in the body and slow down cellular decay which are the major contributors to aging.
- Immunity against anemia – People get anemic when their iron intake is low and iron levels in the body fall, this makes it harder for the body to make new red blood cells (iron gives blood it’s red color!) the RBCs carry blood in them. So, anemia in some cases may even mean death. The high levels of humic acid and iron in Shilajit can prevent the chances of getting anemic.
- Resistance to Chronic Fatigue – A study in 2012 found that Shilajit helped in reducing the symptoms of chronic fatigue in test subjects. Minerals and acids in shilajit help in increasing cellular functions and increase protein development which increases energy levels naturally.
- Decreases symptoms of altitude sickness – Contrary to popular belief, Shilajit doesn’t cure altitude sickness, rather it cures most of its symptoms. Due to the high number of minerals in it. Shilajit helps in curing body pain, fatigue, lung congestion, oxygen absorption and oxygen transportation to the brain.
- Reduces chances of developing liver cancer – Shilajit, in some cases, has proven to be effective in fighting certain categories of cancerous cells and stop them from multiplying furthermore. It especially reduces any chance of developing liver cancer.
- Reportedly is a cognitive enhancer – As per Ayurved, Shilajit is an enhancer of memory and learning. In a certain study, purified Shilajit increased learning and memory consolidation in aging lab rats. It is said to be immensely helpful in Alzheimer’s therapy as well.
- May act as a catalyst for other supplements and herbs – One of the most interesting purported benefits of Shilajit is its alleged ability to enhance the benefits of other herbs and nutrients. Ancient specialists say Shilajit acts as a “typical collaborator” and it is categorized as a “yogavaha” in Ayurved, which translates to “an agent which enhances the property of other drugs.”.
- Reduces stress and anxiety – It’s obvious that Shilajit can cure stress and anxiety considering all the miracles it can already cure. Shilajit may increase dopamine levels in the limbic and the emotional region of the brain, according to animal studies. Scientists think it may reduce anxiety and the detrimental effects of stress based on its antioxidant and nutrient contents.
- Increases testosterone in men – Testosterone is a primary male sex hormone, but some men have a lower level than others. Shilajit improves the virility and stamina of men and also helps in treating infertility by improving sperm counts in men.
There are several benefits to using shilajit. However, there are some concerns regarding its side effects. Shilajit has a chance of lowering blood pressure, which might be dangerous for people on high blood pressure medications. People with heart diseases or with a history of genetic heart problems should avoid taking Shilajit to prevent a drop in blood pressure. It is suggested to consult an Ayurvedic practitioner before using Shilajit in any form. Any intake whatsoever must be under the supervision of practicing Ayurvedic professionals.
In exceedingly rare cases, it could aggravate gout. But apart from exceptions, Shilajit is perfectly safe even in higher than normal quantities. Be aware that many Shilajit supplements on the market are fake and duplicates made with chemicals and dyes. Some of these contain fertilizer. Others contain toxic heavy metals.
Proper consumption of Shilajit capsules offers many benefits. Please consult a doctor before consuming it.